Mold spores are always in the atmosphere. They concentrate in areas of moisture and grow on moist surfaces. As mold spreads, it becomes a danger to structures in the home and the health of your family. The team at 5 Star Restoration Specialists works 1-on-1 with you to ensure your home is safe from mold.
Remediation involves cleaning up and removing an infested area and returning mold spores to natural levels. You can never completely remove mold because it's an integral part of the atmosphere. However, our technicians can remove harmful mold spores so that they do not endanger anyone living or working in the building. When you see black, brown, or green spots on walls, ceilings or floors, call in a professional mold remediation team to assess the damage and to begin the mold remediation process. Our restoration specialists can test the area to find out what kind of mold it is and determine the best way to contain the damage.
Steps in the Mold Remediation Process
When a mold infestation takes over a residential or commercial building, property owners often call a restoration company specializing in the mold remediation process. For small amounts of mold, a thorough cleaning may prevent the spread of spores. However, widespread damage requires an experienced team of specialists dressed in personal protective gear. Toxic mold can cause respiratory and other ailments if left untreated. Therefore, we urge clients to call as soon as possible to treat the affected areas.
Steps of the Mold Remediation Process
- Find the source of moisture. To spread, mold releases spores, their reproductive cells. Microscopic spores can go anywhere they find enough moisture and oxygen — and they spread quickly. Cutting off moisture slows the infestation.
- Seal off the contaminated area. Using plastic sheeting and duct tape, our technicians seal doors, windows and ventilation conduits. This helps protect the rest of your home while we clean up the area.
- Suppress dust. We use a fine mist application to contain mold spores. This helps prevent further contamination from airborne spores.
- Reduce moisture using HEPA air scrubbers and dehumidifiers. Using specialized equipment, we scrub the air in the sealed off area to reduce oxygen levels and remove harmful spores. Drywall, tile, fabrics, wood, and insulation are common materials that harbor mold spores. We will recommend our specialized partners to clean valuable and/or sentimental items after they are sufficiently dry. Remove permanently damaged material. Unfortunately, we have to remove and dispose of porous materials infested with mold. However, we recommend local specialized services for valuable or sentimental items. Please speak with a member of our team if you have concerns about specific belongings. Keep in mind that disposing of moldy items is an essential step to avoid further mold infestation.
- Clean all materials: We can clean nonporous surfaces and sand down wood surfaces to discourage future mold growth. A HEPA vacuum cleaner helps keep the area clean during the remediation projects. We seal all items in plastic bags for disposal or cleanup. This protects the rest of your home from contamination. Whenever possible, we slip it through a window or door to prevent spores from traveling through the rest of the building. Our remediation team even seals the vacuum cleaner in a plastic bag.
- Restore the damaged area: After waiting a sufficient time to ensure that the mold does not return, we replace damaged items and materials. This includes restoring drywall, finishes and installation to make the area habitable once again.
Please note that these steps of the mold remediation process represent the most common steps. Because every situation is different, consult a certified mold remediation expert for how to properly resolve mold issues.
Choose the Best Mold Remediation Company in the Business
You can trust the experienced team at 5 Star Restoration Specialists with your mold remediation process. Contact us to find out more about our mold restoration and remediation services. We would love to help you return your home or business to its former condition and regain the use of your property.
If you see signs of mold and mildew or smell a musty odor in your attic, basement or other areas of the home, it's time to call in the professionals. We have helped residents and business owners in Lake County, Illinois, for more than 10 years. We would like to be your go-to solution for mold remediation.
5 Star Restoration Specialists can work with your home insurance company to determine what your policy covers in the event your mold was due to a natural disaster. Contact us today and fill in our online form for a free quote.
Sources: CDC - Mold - General Information - Basic Facts. (2020, August 11). Retrieved February 01, 2021, from https://www.cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm