Mold is one of the biggest worries after water damage. Mold growth can happen quickly, and when it does, it can create significant structural damage to your home. Many times, property owners have no idea mold is present.
If you have mold in your home, it is essential to take care of it immediately. Understanding the risks it brings is essential. And, it is also important to understand that cleaning up mold requires more than simply washing down the surface. Our team at 5 Star Restoration Specialists has the tools and resources to help you comprehensively clean up mold present in or around your home or business.
If you have a mold situation right now, don’t wait. For mold remediation near me, call 5 Star Restoration Specialists. We provide a 45-minute emergency response time when you need it. Don’t put off mold as you could put your loved ones at risk.
- Andres Cerritos
- Dr. Maniquis
- Miguel Pizano
- Quenton Galvin
What Causes Mold Growth?
It is very common for mold to grow on surfaces when the perfect combination of warmth and moisture exists. Even worse, mold thrives in areas that are dark and hidden. For this reason, it is essential to always be on the lookout for mold growth in areas that could be at risk. Basements or foundational levels of the home are typical areas, but they are far from the only area that could suffer mold damage.
Mold is a substance that is quite powerful when it comes to growth. That is because of how it reproduces. Mold releases spores into the area. The air carries them into various sectors of the home. And, once they find a moist area to grow, they can do so quickly. While mold is present in many homes, it becomes a significant problem over time.
Why Mold Growth Is So Worrisome
As noted, mold is present in many homes. But, it can become a problem in several situations. From a basic point of view, mold is dangerous because it damages the structures it is on, which can weaken your home’s structural integrity. However, it can also create unhealthy conditions for humans. In some cases, mold can create respiratory illnesses and even severe health problems for some people.
In humans, mold growth can create a variety of symptoms. This includes respiratory effects such as difficulty breathing well, coughing, and congestion. In some, it can create headaches and chronic pain. It is specifically worrisome to those who already have a compromised immune system and those who have allergies or asthma. For these individuals, a significant amount of mold can mean difficulty breathing. Those who are very young and those who are very old are specifically at risk as well.
What Makes Mold Grow to Dangerous Levels?
Most of the time, our team at 5 Star Restoration Specialists handles mold that has gotten to dangerous levels. That means that the mold has become a problem for the structure as well as a person’s health. And, if you spot mold – a growing, black or brown fungus on the walls or behind structures, it is essential to call us immediately for help. Not doing so puts your health and that of your family’s at risk.
As mentioned, mold grows at very fast levels when it finds the perfect environment – an environment that is warm and moist. As a result, after a fire, water damage event, or storm, there are the ideal circumstances present to encourage mold growth at a rapid level. Mold growth occurs here because of several key reasons:
Lack of Drying Out
After water damage occurs, the area must be fully dried out quickly. Mold can grow rapidly within 12 to 18 hours, or even in a shorter amount of time when temperatures are warmer. If a pipe bursts in your basement, for example, and the area does not dry out fully within that amount of time, mold growth is nearly always possible.
Not Removing Enough Material
When a storm occurs and flooding happens, it is essential to look beyond what you can see to prevent ongoing problems. For example, mold can get under the carpeting into the subfloor. Water can saturate the drywall in the basement, allowing mold to grow under the top layer. Because you don’t see it, you may not think it is there. Yet, this is a very common cause of buildup.
Mold Enters the HVAC System
After any type of water-related damage, proper cleaning of the home requires cleaning out areas effectively to kill off mold, bacteria, and viruses. But, if left untreated, mold will grow. Then, when you turn on your heating and cooling system, the mold spores easily move throughout the home. Cleaning the home’s HVAC can be a very important step in preventing mold growth.
How Mold Remediation Companies Work
When you contact 5 Star Restoration Specialists, our team goes to work to help you to clean out these areas properly to ensure mold does not grow. In fact, our team works hard to prevent mold from occurring after any type of natural disaster, storm damage, wind damage, or water damage. However, even when a good job is done, mold can still lurk. This is when you need to call on mold remediation companies to help you.
What Is Remediation?
Mold remediation companies follow a very specific procedure to help clean away the material from the home. Their goal is to understand all of the areas where mold is, treat them, and prevent it from coming back. That sounds easy, but mold is not simple to kill and remove from any structure.
The process will include the following:
- Finding the source of the moisture and stopping it is the first step. You cannot prevent mold growth until you cut off any moisture present in the area.
- Documenting all areas of mold present is also important. This means looking in all areas of the property even where mold has not been present.
- Creating a remediation plan comes next. Here, the goal is to determine the best way to remove as much of the mold material as possible, while minimizing financial loss for the family. Keep in mind that some items can be cleaned and others must be thrown out.
- After removal of material, it is then important to understand the extensiveness of the contamination. The more extensive the damage is, the more important it will be to create a customized treatment plan.
- Finally, the goal is to remediate the mold contamination thoroughly. This involves cleaning up any mold present and addressing any new growth in the coming weeks or months.
What is important to know is that at 5 Star Restoration Specialists our team is there to help you with even the most extensive of cleanup goals. However, even in the best situation, it can be hard to completely prevent mold growth after any type of flooding damage occurs. The sooner you get help, though, the better.
Finding Mold Remediation Near Me – When to Call Us
We recommend contacting 5 Star Restoration Specialists for any mold cleanup and remediation needs any time you have water damage. After a fire, storm, windstorm, or any other instance in which water invades your home, there is a very high potential for mold growth. And, there is only a limited amount of time for you to clean it away before a large-scale concern can arise.
Our team provides all of the mold remediation services you need. This will include:
- Determining the source of the moisture and fixing it. This prevents new growth from occurring.
- We then work to section off the area that has mold contamination. The extent of this depends on how severe the mold growth is. It can mean sheeting over the area, sealing off windows and doors, and handling any vent exposure.
- We then work to suppress the dust. This is done by the application of misting on the area. We do not want to encourage mold spores to become airborne during the cleaning process.
- After this, we work to remove all of the damaged material – anything porous cannot be cleaned properly or thoroughly. This material ends up in bags that will then be disposed of in a safe manner.
- We then clean all material remaining in the space, including all non-porous material and wood surfaces. The impacted areas are properly cleaned to ensure no contamination occurs.
- There is then the need to dry out the area. Fans and dehumidifiers are helpful to speed up this process. We need to rid the property of any moisture concerns.
Finally, our restoration team goes to work replacing the damaged areas and materials. It becomes essential for our team to ensure your home is back to the best condition possible.
Scheduling Mold Remediation Near Me – Call Us First
5 Star Restoration Specialists is one of your leading mold remediation companies. We encourage you to contact us immediately to learn more about mold as well as to schedule a formal inspection of your home or business.
If you have seen mold growth or you smell a musky scent in your basement, it is time to get help. With over 10 years of experience providing mold remediation in Lake County, Illinois and the surrounding area, our team at 5 Star Restoration Specialists is your go-to solution for mold remediation. Do not put off getting our help.
Keep in mind that 5 Star Restoration Specialists works with your home insurance company. If mold remediation is covered by your policy, we are happy to work with your home insurance company throughout the process.